This covers projects that exhibit very high social economic returns that will significantly contribute to the country’s economic development.
The social economic returns of the proposed project shall be measured in terms of the following:
• Consumer-based benefits (e.g., price, availability, quality);
• Forward and backward linkages with existing industries in the country;
• Generation of at least 500 direct employment or use of highly-specialized or advanced technology;
• Generation of at least US$1 million in foreign exchange savings, when applicable; and
• Stature of the proponent as a global player, when applicable.
Notwithstanding the preceding paragraphs, manufacture of packaging products that will involve product or process innovation, which shall lead to significant improvements in quality, and value of the packaged products shall also be deemed as “Strategic Project”. Likewise, the manufacture of essential drugs and medicines as listed in the Philippine National Drug Formulary (PNDF) shall be deemed as “Strategic Project”.
Projects under these activities will be approved upon determination by the Board in consultation with the Department of Finance (DOF), National Economic Development Authority (NEDA) and other appropriate government agencies.
http://oshdp.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/2013-IPP-General-Policies-and-Specific-Guidelines.pdf (accessed June 18, 2014).