Alien Employment Permit
An Alien Employment Permit (AEP) is a document issued by the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) authorizing a foreign national to work in the Philippines. The AEP is a pre-requisite for several Philippine work and employment visas.
Foreign nationals required to apply for an AEP:
• Foreign nationals seeking employment in the Philippines, whether they are non-residents or refugees;
• Foreign professionals who are allowed to practice their profession in the Philippines under reciprocity and other international agreements and in consultancy services pursuant to Section 7J of the PRC Modernization Act of 2000; and
• Holders of Special Investors Resident Visa (SIRV), Special Resident Retiree’s Visa (SRRV), Treaty Traders Visa (9D) or Special Non-Immigrant Visa (47(a)2) for as long as they occupy any executive, advisory, supervisory, or technical position in any Philippines establishment.
Foreign nationals exempted from securing an AEP:
• Resident Foreign Nationals employed or seeking employment in the Philippines (DO 41-03);
• Members of the diplomatic services and foreign government officials accredited by the Philippine government;
• Officers and staff of international organizations of which the Philippine government is a cooperating member, and their legitimate spouses desiring to work in the Philippines;
• Foreign nationals elected as members of the Governing Board who do not occupy any other position, but have only voting rights in the corporation;
• All foreign nationals granted exemption by special laws and all other laws that may be promulgated by the Congress;
• Foreign nationals who come to the Philippines to teach, present and/or conduct research studies in universities and colleges as visiting, exchange or adjunct professors under formal agreements between universities or colleges in the Philippines and foreign universities or colleges; or between the Philippine government and foreign government; provided that the exemption is on a reciprocal basis; and
• Owners and representatives of foreign principals, whose companies are accredited by the Philippine Overseas Administration (POEA), who come to the Philippines for a limited period solely for the purpose of interviewing Filipino applicants for employment abroad.
• Duly notarized application form;
• Letter of request sent to DOLE;
• Secretary’s Certificate electing foreign national to position (for non-resident foreign nationals with elective positions);
• Authenticated passport with current visa;
• Photocopy of Mayor’s Permit; and
• Photocopy of Business Permit.
• Submit filled-out AEP application form together with all required documents to the DOLE Regional Office at the intended place of work of the foreign national;
• In case of foreign nationals to be assigned in subsidiaries, branch offices, joint ventures, and those assigned in the headquarters with oversight functions in any operations or projects in the country, may file their application in any DOLE Office;
• Pay the corresponding fees; and
• Claim the AEP card at the DOLE Regional Office, or lodge an appeal addressed to the Secretary of DOLE if application was denied.