Environmental BlogApplying for a Permit to Operate from DENR

April 27, 20210

According to Republic Act 8749 which is also known as The Clean Air Act of 1999, all companies whose business activity and equipment that are causing air pollution must apply for a Permit to Operate (PTO) from the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR). How will you know if your company is covered by this permit?

Usual Equipment with Significant Air Emission

The following equipment emit air that may be damaging to the environment. If your company has any of these, you will be required to obtain a PTO:

A. Internal Combustion Engine such as Generator sets / Gas Turbines

Generator set –  Grupel defines this as ‘an equipment whose function is to convert the so-called heat capacity into mechanical energy and then into electrical energy

B. External Combustion Engine such as Boiler, Fuel Burning Steel Mill Furnaces

Boiler – is an enclosed vessel in which a fluid such as water is heated to produce steam or the vaporized form of a liquid.

C. Cement Kilns and other sources such as but not limited to waste-to-energy technology and pyrolysis

Who are required to acquire the PTO?

The DENR Administrative Order 2000-81 states that “all sources of air pollution subject to these Implementing Rules and Regulations must have a valid Permit to Operate.”

Non-compliance to the said administrative order will incur a company some hefty penalties.


Are you required to apply for a Permit to Operate? Not sure if you are? Contact us and book a FREE 30-minute consultation with one of our experts. Give us a call at +63 (02) 8540-9623 or send us an email at info@tripleiconsulting.com


Althea Ramos, CSD Manager

+63917 626 6148

Contact us

Contact us below by filling out the form or just email us a message using the email info@tripleiconsulting.com

First Name (required)

Last Name (required)

Your Email (required)

Phone (Enter Your Phone Number if You'd Like Us to Call You)

Your Message

Enter the Captcha

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *