Common Visa Types in The Philippines

August 12, 2021

Immigration PhilippinesThe Philippines is probably one of the friendliest countries in the world when it comes to immigration policies for foreigners. If you have experience applying for a visitor visa in other countries, you will agree that it’s much easier to enter and stay in the Philippines. However, despite the seemingly easy process, there are some rules the foreign applicant must follow.

Here’s a quick guide on some of the most applied visas in the country.

9a Tourist Visa

This visa is valid for the following purposes:

  • Tourism
  • Medical
  • Business

Prior to the Covid-19 pandemic, such kind of visa can be obtained via the following:

9a vi

During the current travel ban, the 9a visa cannot be obtained at the port of arrival and shall be issued at the Embassy in advance. With the current pandemic, to get this visa, you will be required to provide supporting documents issued in the Philippines.

Work Visa

The Philippines offers different kinds of work visas, however, all of them have the same major requirement: a local employer. This visa is not issued by any Philippine Embassy, and can be applied only once a foreign national arrives in the country.

In line with the ongoing travel ban, any foreign national, who would like to be employed in the Philippines must follow this procedure:

  • Find a fully registered legal entity, which intends to hire foreigners and is capable to act as a petitioner for Travel Ban Exemption (TBE) application;
  • Get a TBE from the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA);
  • Apply with the valid TBE for a 9a visa in the nearest Embassy;
  • Travel to the Philippines;
  • Convert the 9a to a work visa

Investment Visas

There are few kinds of visas that may interest foreigners with significant financial capacity:

  • SIRV (Special Investment Resident Visa) – It’s a kind of permanent visa which may be granted to a foreign national upon investment of at least USD 75,000 into any private and/or public companies approved by the Board of Investments. Some Philippine Embassies accept applications for SIRV, however, the procedure may vary due to the current restrictions (you may check the possibilities and requirements in the Philippine Embassy near you).
  • SRRV (Special Resident Retirees Visa) – The Philippine Retirement Authority (PRA) used to offer different programs for foreign nationals who intend to retire in the Philippines. As of today, the minimum age of applicants has been raised to 50. This visa might be obtained abroad if the Embassy accepts such applications (you may check the various SRRV programs and requirements in the Philippine Embassy near you).  This visa is currently not being processed by Triple I Consulting.


Visa by Marriage to a Philippine Citizen

Foreign nationals, married to Philippine citizens may apply for a permanent 13(a) visa if their country also grants permanent residence and immigration privileges to Filipinos. Other foreigners may apply for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) for 5 years (which is renewable thereafter).

In both cases, the marriage shall be officially recognized in the Philippines via local government authorities or Embassies. This visa can be obtained in the country or abroad (you may check the possibilities and requirements in the Philippine Embassy near you).

Unlike other countries, the Philippines does not offer a fiancé visa.


Interested to apply for any of these visas? Contact one of our experts through or give us a call at +63 (02) 8540-9623.

Contact Us

You can submit to the contact form above or just drop us a message using the email below

First Name (required)

Last Name (required)

Your Email (required)

Phone (Enter Your Phone Number if You'd Like Us to Call You)

Your Message

Recent Posts