Tax BlogHow to File Annual Withholding Taxes With the BIR 2024

June 22, 2023

A Step-by-Step Guide to Filing Annual Withholding Taxes with the BIR

As a responsible citizen and business owner, fulfilling your obligations towards the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) is crucial to filing your annual withholding taxes accurately and on time. Complying with tax regulations not only helps you avoid penalties but also contributes to the country’s overall development. This comprehensive guide will walk you through the process of filing annual withholding taxes with the BIR, including who needs to pay expanded withholding tax, applicable tax rates, required BIR forms, filing procedures, and penalties for non-compliance.

  1. Who Needs to Pay Expanded Withholding Tax: The expanded withholding tax is imposed on specific income payments made by certain individuals or entities. It applies to the following categories: a. Businesses or professionals making payments to individuals or entities subject to withholding tax b. Government offices, agencies, and instrumentalities, including local government units, making payments to individuals or entities subject to withholding tax
  2. Expanded Withholding Tax Rates: The expanded withholding tax rates vary depending on the nature of the income payment. The BIR provides a comprehensive list of rates for different types of income payments, such as professional fees, rentals, royalties, commissions, and dividends. It is essential to consult the BIR’s official website or tax publications for the most up-to-date rates.
  3. BIR Forms Required for Filing: To accurately report and pay your annual withholding taxes, you need to complete and submit the following BIR forms: a. BIR Form 1601-E – Monthly Remittance Return of Creditable Income Taxes Withheld (Expanded)/Final Withholding Tax b. BIR Form 1604E – Annual Information Return of Creditable Income Taxes Withheld (Expanded)/Final Withholding Tax c. BIR Form 2307 – Certificate of Creditable Tax Withheld at Source
  4. How to File BIR Forms: Here is a step-by-step guide on how to file the BIR forms for annual withholding taxes: a. Fill out BIR Form 1601-E monthly to report the creditable income taxes withheld for each month. Submit the form to the authorized BIR collection agent (bank or Revenue Collection Officer) on or before the 10th day of the following month. b. Maintain a copy of BIR Form 2307, which serves as proof of tax withheld. Ensure that your payees receive this form as well. c. At the end of the year, complete BIR Form 1604E to consolidate the monthly remittance returns and submit it to the BIR on or before January 31 of the following year.
  5. Penalties for Non-Filing and Late Filing: Failing to file or filing your annual withholding taxes late can result in penalties and other consequences. The BIR imposes the following penalties:
    1. Failure to file the required BIR forms on time: A penalty of 25% of the tax due shall be imposed.
    2. Willful failure to file or supply correct and accurate information: A penalty of not less than ₱10,000 but not more than ₱25,000 and imprisonment of not less than one year but not more than three years may be imposed.
    3. Non-compliance with payment requirements: A surcharge of 25% of the tax due, plus interest at the rate of 20% per annum on the tax due.

Conclusion: Filing your annual withholding taxes with the BIR is a vital responsibility for individuals and businesses. By following the guidelines outlined in this comprehensive guide, you can ensure accurate reporting, timely submission, and compliance with tax regulations. Remember to stay updated on the latest tax rates and requirements provided by the BIR to avoid penalties and maintain good standing with the tax authorities. By fulfilling your tax obligations, you contribute to the development of your country and foster a transparent and fair tax system.

Is Help Available?

At Triple i Consulting, we provide comprehensive tax consultation services. We offer a range of solutions such as tax advisory and planning, BIR tax assistance services, assisting in accessing tax incentives, ensuring tax compliance, resolving tax return matters, and more.

Allow us to assist you today. You can get in touch with us through the following channels: fill out the form below, call us at +63 (02) 8540-9623, or email us at Book an initial consultation with one of our experienced tax experts and let us guide you towards effective solutions.

Contact us

You can submit to the contact form above or just drop us a message using the email below

First Name (required)

Last Name (required)

Your Email (required)

Phone (Enter Your Phone Number if You'd Like Us to Call You)

Your Message