Household hazardous substances (HHS) are items or products that may possess potential threats not only to public health but also to the environment. These substances should pass the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) standards and requires FDA regulations.
HHS as defined under the authority of Section 2 paragraph 1 of Presidential Decree 881 relative to Section 2 paragraph 2 of the same P.D. are any substance or mixture of substances which is toxic, corrosive, an irritant, a strong sensitizer, flammable or combustible, or generates pressure through decomposition, heat or other means, if such substance or mixture of substances may cause substantial injury or substantial illness during or as a proximate result of any customary or reasonably foreseeable ingestion by children.
As stated under Administrative Order No. 312 s. 1977, HHS is classified according to the following categories:
CATEGORY I- PRODUCT CONTAINING PETROLEUM DISTILLATES
- Fluids for cigarette lighters and charcoal
- Paints, lacquers, varnish
- Solvent paint, lacquer thinner, mineral spirits
- Kerosene, fuel oil, petroleum distillates
CATEGORY II- POLISHES AND WAXES
- Household polishes and waxes
CATEGORY III- CLEANSER AND DETERGENT
- Bleaches, unspecified and specified
- Cleaners and special purpose detergents/soaps
- Solvent (non-petroleum distillates)
- Fabric Cleaners
- Corrosive cleaners (including acids and alkalis)
CATEGORY IV- DO-IT-YOURSELF AND HOBBY ITEMS
- Glues and cement
- Ink and ink cartridges
- Gem bluer
- Educational set and miscellaneous chemistry set
CATEGORY V- YARD AND HOME PRODUCTS
- Pesticide, insecticide and other economic poison
- Room freshener and deodorizer
The aforementioned lists of household hazardous substances or products may have health effects or may be a source of risks exposure and therefore product registration or market authorization issued by the Food and Drug Administration is required to ensure public health and safety.
We would be glad to help you for inquiries on the product registration process in the Philippines and classification of your products. You may contact Triple I Consulting Inc. for details.